Sunday, February 27, 2011

Riyadh dusts off winter, shows signs of early summer

I was merely a 10 day-old newbie in Riyadh when the desert city sampled us with this:


The above footage reminds me of the scene from the Brendan Fraser and Rachelle Weisz mummy movie where a sandstorm with Imhotep's face pursued a plane. Some people say this one on the 10th of March 2009 is one of the worst of its kind. It's quite cinematic how the Faisaliah Tower went out of sight as it got engulfed with fine sand. If this was how it looked like from above, it was a worse situation down on the streets where vehicles were forced to either stop or move at a speed way slower than the Riyadh drivers are accustomed to (if you've had the chance to drive on the city streets, you'll know what I mean).

This morning, when I stepped out and found a lightly dusted sky and felt my nose uncomfortably twitching, I knew what I was in for. I'm just thankful that at least the visibility is better than the previous days and it's nowhere near what we had 2 years ago. Sandstorms are usually an indication that the climate is changing. So I guess it's time to raid the closet and change wardrobes.

This is King Abdullah Road today on our way to the office.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...